- Travel Healthy
- TEN OF…
- Contact Us
Posts tagged APMA
by Phil Vasyli (Orthaheel)
Here are the top five tips for selecting the best walking gear based on comfort and fit from the APMA and internationally recognized podiatrist and expert, Phil Vasyli of Orthaheel (www.orthaheelusa.com). Happy painless travels.
- Materials: Choose a good quality, lightweight walking shoe with breathable upper materials such as leather or nylon mesh.
- Heel: The heel counter should be firm and properly cushioned. It should not bite into the heel or touch the ankle bones.
- Front/forefoot: Should have adequate support and flexibility.
- Width: It must comfortably accommodate the width of the ball of your foot.
- Arch: Be sure that there is adequate arch support to avoid pronation, which leads to a multitude of pain symptoms, with the worst being planter’s fasciitis.
**(Remember to always try on new shoes later in the day to take into consideration foot swelling.)